Many employers want to emphasize healthy lifestyles for employees by offering wellness benefits. These programs can help your organization reduce health plan costs, improve productivity and become an employer of choice.
Keller can help you design a strategic wellness program that meets your objectives, fits your budget and sustains employee interest. Depending on the scope and goals of your program, we may recommend a local wellness vendor for implementation.
In coordination with your health plan, your wellness program may include:
- Preventive exams and screenings
- Disease management
- Annual health fairs
- Biometric screenings
- Health Risk Assessments
- Subsidized gym membership
- Smoking cessation programs
- Weight loss programs
- Cholesterol and blood pressure screenings
- Fitness or walking groups
- Wellness challenges
- Health education seminars
- Support groups and coaching
- Educational communications
- Flu shots
To incentivize employee participation in a wellness program, employers may offer rewards, including lower group health plan contributions. The rewards may be based solely on participation in the wellness program or may require the individual meet a specific health standard. Participation-based rewards include reimbursement for gym membership fees, waived co-pays for preventive care, and reimbursement for smoking cessation programs (without regard to whether the employee quits). Health standard-based rewards include lower health plan contributions based upon not smoking or healthy cholesterol levels. Group health plan contributions based upon a health standard are only allowed if the wellness program meets the following HIPAA nondiscrimination requirements:
- Designed to promote health and prevent disease;
- Available to all similarly-situated individuals;
- Annual opportunity to qualify for the reward;
- Value of reward within certain limits; and
- Notify participants of reasonable alternative standards that must be available for eligible individuals who cannot meet the health standard because it is medically inadvisable or unreasonably difficult due to a medical condition.
Keller is committed to helping our clients reach their wellness goals and objectives.